After independence, there was the only college at Kolhapur i.e. The Rajaram College, (established in 1880), catering to the needs of higher education. Only the students from upper classes could reap the benefits of that facility. Consequently, students from weaker classes from Kagal were deprived of higher education, as there was no institution of higher learning in and around Kagal.
This vacuum was tried to fill in by Br. Balasaheb Khardekar, the distinguished educationist and Prin. M. R. Desai in the form of establishment of a college at Kagal in 1948, entitled ‘Gopalkrishna Gokhale College’. Unfortunately, it proved to be an abortive attempt and the college was closed down in 1950.
From 1951 to 1983, there was no other way and means available for students from the poor and weaker sections at Kagal. ‘The Kagal Education Society’ felt its prime duty and responsibility to provide higher education for the individual and societal development in tune with its goal of ‘Service To Man’. It resulted into the establishment of D. R. Mane Mahavidyalaya’ in 1984.
This is the only Senior College in the city of Kagal. The management is always experimental, innovative and has a positive and co-operative attitude towards the development of the college D. R. Mane Mahavidyalaya, Kagal was established by Late Shri Y.D. Mane the veteran educationist and founder secretary of the Kagal Education Society, Kagal in 1984. It was named after Hon’ble Shri. Dinkarrao Ramchandra Mane, a writer, a social thinker, social reformer a staunch activist and a remarkable ‘Satyashodhak’ (a man in search of a truth-an activist of the movement started by Mahatma Jotiba Phule).
The Present status
With just 49 students as the source, the Senior college was opened in June 1984 only with the faculty of commerce. To fulfill the growing demand from the students, the faculty of Arts at senior college was started in 1989. Then the three-year professional degree course at senior level – Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) was started in 2008-09. Science Faculty at senior college was started in 2016-17 and Post Graduate M.Com at commerce faculty was started in 2016—17. Today for the year 2018-19 there are 1862 students studying at senior college.
The College is situated in the vicinity of Shivaji University, Kolhapur. It has permanent affiliation to the University and has been enlisted Under Section-2 (f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act, 1956. The College was Re-accredited (Cycle 2nd) with ‘B’ Grade (CGPA 2.61) by NAAC, Bangalore in February 2014.
The College is dedicated to realize its emblem – “दुरिताचे तिमिर जावो” (May the darkness of disability, corruption, wickedness and ignorance be eradicated of our students in particular and of the Society in general.)
- In June, 1984 the Senior College was opened only with the Faculty of Commerce with just 49 students as the source.
- In 1989, the Faculty of Arts (At Senior wing) was also started to fulfill the growing demand from the students
- In the year 2000, the College was granted Permanent Affiliation Status from the Shivaji University, Kolhapur.
- In July 2002, the College was enlisted under 2(f) and 12 (B), by the University Grants Commission and became eligible to receive various types of grants from UGC.
- In January 2004, the College was assessed and accredited by the NAAC, Bangalore and awarded with ‘B’ Grade.
- In June 2009, the College started a professional programme, Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) affiliated to the Shivaji University, Kolhapur.
- In February 2014, the College was Re-accredited (Cycle 2nd) with ‘B’ Grade (CGPA 2.61) by NAAC, Bangalore
- In June 2016, the College started Bachelor of Science, (B,Sc.)
- In June 2016, the College started Post Graduate programme, Master of Commerce